Saturday, April 7, 2012

3D: Titanic, The Game, The Reinvented Movie Theater

The entire audience interacts with the silver screen, so bring your iPad™, game controllers, and other wi-fi devices to the theater. Today's market aims at simpler vote applets while tomorrow's market aims at deeper immersion and an innovative experience. The just-sit-back-and-watch style of movie is now something of the past.

With titles like Titanic and Star Wars digitally remastered into Real3D, the producers not only proved people go back to the theater for these movies, they proved how the theaters are back in business. The silver screen brings quality of the picture not available, in mass, to home theaters. The regular sized home theater, even with 3D, does not produce circular polarization of Real3D technology. Although possible, it is not practical outside the movie theater. Pirates can't copy the movies as easily as before since your regular (“practical”) camera doesn't capture the circular polarization.

That's quite an incentive even if the movie is not an in-your-face experience. One thing I enjoyed most about Avatar 3D was the depth behind the screen, not what popped-out in front of it.

If people want things that pop-out in front of the screen, then upgrade the 3D glasses such that they include technology like Google's Project Glass. When you have eye-ware that has the capability for images on the glasses itself, then the next innovative idea is that each individual in the theater is able to customize their view in the theater. Imagine subtitles, closed-captions, or translations that display on the glasses instead of the silver-screen. We imagined more.

When I saw that on-screen notice that stated “please put your 3D glasses in the green recycle,” I thought the theater missed an opportunity. When they handed me one more package of 3D glasses even when I had my previously used ones on me, it sounded like an opportunity. I questioned it, and they explained “premium” rate.

As I sat in the theater, I imagined the interactive experience everybody could have before the movie starts. Movie theaters often show trivia questions, so why aren't they live? They also have shown poll results, so why aren't those live? I thought of several games the entire audience could join in before the movies start, yet I thought of some difference between “premium” and “first class” such that one can order items from the snack bar on their iPad™ (or phone), and one of the ushers brings in their order.

Last time I was at the movie-theater, I stared at the arcade. Without 3G/4G/Internet “always-on” like everybody else, I wondered why Fandango doesn't let you prepay for arcade games. Now, I know why the produces of 3D TRON called it “Legacy.”

That's just the tip of the iceberg.